Mittwoch, 2. März 2016

Skype session

Hi everyone!

Yesterday I had a one to one skype session with Paula. The reason I wanted to skype with my tutor was, because I got stuck in finding an interesting inquiry theme. I  read a few blogs from different students, who already found their perfect topics.... when I read them I got a bit stressed out because I haven't found mine yet. However, I am so glad I had the skype session because now I've got a starting point.

The first question Paula asked me was "What am I interested in?".


My answer to that was "I would love to write something about D A N C E, and I would like to look further into it."
But dance is such a huge topic...so Paula and me started brainstorming. My problem also is that I don't have a dance job at the moment, which I could take as my inquiry. Paula asked me if she can be a bit nosy and she wanted to know what my jobs are at the moment. I told her that I have got one promotion job and a bar job. My tutor then was thinking that I maybe could look further into my promotion job but I honestly had to say that I am not very interested in that and it wouldn't be fun to write about...

....I then had an idea!!

Because I'm not english and I live in Austria at the moment, I thought I could write something about the difference from Austria and England. We then kept on brainstorming...

- Austrian theatres .... how are they different to english ones? (art form)
- literature ... how is it different to England?
- performance ... how is the performance different in those two countries?
- how do the teacher teach differently?
- find some practitioners...
- compare the two countries..
- do they have any similarities?
- what genre do I want to look at?


Personally I think this is a really good starting point.. and I am very glad that I had the skype session with Paula.
It is very interesting for me to research about those questions, especially for me, because I have already trained in Austria and in England, so I am sure I have got some good comparisons. :)





VS.


7 Kommentare:

  1. Thanks Linda a good start on the inquiry and looking forward to more blogs! now do some we research and also look up what other experts and practitioners have said about issues surrounding your topic - it is about the ideas - use key words on Summon to help see what is out there in newspapers like Stage and also more academic journals. Use Austria as a key word to see if anything comes up.

    AntwortenLöschen
  2. Dieser Kommentar wurde vom Autor entfernt.

    AntwortenLöschen
  3. Hi Linda,
    Thank you very much for your comment on my blog regarding the comparison of German and English theatre, or in your case Austrian and English theatre. I replied on my blog but whenever I click on the link the comments aren't loading (my blog has been having some techincal hickups lately), so I'm not sure if you ever saw my reply. I thought I'd send it to you here, so here goes:

    So far, I have looked at general arts marketing literature to understand why venues choose to include foreign theatre. I have also looked at reviews of German theatre by British critics. I don't know about Austria, but interestingly the funding structures in Germany and England are very different (Germany is much more heavily state-subsidised). My interviews for my inquiry will be with German and British theatre-makers to compare their views and experiences working in either country and to see what attributes of German theatre actually appeal to a British audience.

    I grew up in Germany but trained as an Actress in England, so I find the cultural exchange very interesting and see it as something that has the potential to enrich each theatrical culture. My personal experience with theatre however is very UK-influenced. I grew up in a small town, so wasn't actually exposed to the typical 'avant-garde' Berlin theatre that is often equalled with 'German theatre'. I personally haven't had the chance to experience any plays in Austria, but I presume the style would be quite similar?

    I hope this helps a bit. I'll keep posting on my blog about my interviews and findings and will follow your journey on your blog aswell.

    Best,
    Lara

    AntwortenLöschen
    Antworten
    1. Hi Lara,

      thank you very much for your answer and help :)

      Germany and Austria are actually quite similar, only that the industry in Germany is a bit bigger than here in Austria, but if you've got the chance at some point come and visit Vienna and watch a musical or a play :)

      I' will definitely follow your blogs because they sound very interesting.

      Thanks again for your help,

      best wishes,
      Linda

      Löschen
    2. Hi Linda, I am glad I could help! I will keep tabs on your inquiry journey on BAPP aswell :) If you have any more questions, feel free to comment or message me.

      I will make sure to watch a musical when I am next in Austria, thanks for the tip.

      All the best,
      Lara

      Löschen
    3. Hi Lara,
      i just completely changed my whole inquiry because the differences between austria and england were a way too big theme. so my inquiry now is: theatres, performers and performances in Linz and Vienna.. so i'm kind of only comparing Austria now, which seems much easier ;)
      have you got facebook? because i think i need your help again :D
      best wishes,
      Linda

      Löschen